CEFOTAXIME FOR INJECTION USP 1 G
Cefotaxime sodium is indicated for the treatment of the following severe infections when known or thought very likely to be due to organisms that are susceptible to cefotaxime.
▪ Infections of the lower respiratory tract
▪ Infections of the kidneys and urinary tract
▪ Infections of the skin and soft tissue
▪ Genital infections caused by gonococci, particularly when penicillin has failed or is unsuitable
▪ Intra-abdominal infections (including Peritonitis)
▪ Lyme-borreliosis (especially stages II and III)
▪ Acute Meningitis in case of gram-negative microorganisms in combination with another suitable antibiotic
Each vial contains:
Cefotaxime Sodium USP
Equivalent to Cefotaxime 1g
Method of administration: Power for Injection
Dosage and route of administration should be determined by susceptibility of the causative organisms, severity of the infection, and the condition of the patient. Cefotaxime (cefotaxime for injection) for Injection USP and Dextrose Injection is intended for IV administration after reconstitution.
Prescribing Cefotaxime (cefotaxime for injection) for Injection USP and Dextrose Injection in the absence of a proven or strongly suspected bacterial infection or a prophylactic indication is unlikely to provide benefit to the patient and increases the risk of the development of drug-resistant bacteria.
Cefotaxime (cefotaxime for injection) for Injection USP and Dextrose Injection should be prescribed with caution in individuals with a history of gastrointestinal disease, particularly colitis.
Cefotaxime for Injection 500 mg and 1 g presentations in 10 ml glass vials closed with rubber stoppers and sealed with aluminium caps.